_caramel_

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Dec 20 04:48:45 UTC 2011

On Dec 19, 2011, at 11:04 PM, V wrote:

> Here is an observation
>
> 1. arC, ar#: COT vowel: carmel
> 2. arV: MARRY/MERRY vowel: caramel
>
> The vowel quality changes depending on the pattern.
>
> Pedro

Agreed. In the trisyllabic version, the first syllable is open:  ca-ra-mel (cf. "carrot" with stressed /ae/ vowel (or /&/, depending on your transcription system)
In the bisyllabic version, it's closed:  car-mel (cf. "car" /a/)

This isn't absolute; sometimes my friends (or even strangers, like my haircutter this morning) call me "Lar" and don't rhyme it with "car".  But it's pretty general.

LH