_STRAC_ "gung-ho, 'GI,' 'SOP,' soldierly, in a military manner," etc.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 22 23:11:45 UTC 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Army_Corps

which is about the STR[ategic]A[rmy]C[orps], mere slang to those of us
not involved with it.

For a while, the equipment usually carried on your back - backpack,
shelter-half, sleeping-bag, etc. - was replaced by the same equipment
redesigned to be attached to your pistol belt. Naturally, with all of
this junk hanging from your waist, together with grenades, flares, a
bandoleer of ammo, etc., the command, "Hit the dirt!", was rendered
essentially meaningless. It was almost impossible merely to *sit* on
the dirt.

For some reason, this form of field gear was also referred to as
"STRAC" - often hypercorrected to "STRIKE" - among us non-STRAC
troops. I have no idea whether this temporary,
at-great-taxpayer-expense redesign truly had anything to do with the
STRAC concept.

When I was in basic, there were posters everywhere extolling STRAC.
It's easy to understand how those who had only heard the word would
think that they were hearing "STRIKE."

--
-Wilson
-----