euphemisms

Fri Dec 23 07:35:18 UTC 2011

There are interesting follow-ups to whether "bathroom" is a euphemism. One person notes that "shitcloset" is not used; while that's a new one to me, I have heard "shitter" many times.

I've been meaning to see if I can spot a clear example where "stomach" means "intestines." AFAIK, "stomach pain" often refers to intestinal pain (at least I have been working on getting those correct for several years).

Words describing physical conditions have social restrictions. Words such as "hemorrhoids" and "diarrhea" ("the runs") cannot be used with the same freedom as "headache" and "sprained wrist." I think that restriction is different from the one governing terminal and serious illnesses.

As for "room business" (fang shi, likely 房事) mentioned in the Economic article, Lisa See uses "bed business" in her novel "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" (http://ow.ly/88ziE). I do not know if they are the same or not. I believe the word "bed business" was used in the film as well.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA