Strac[k]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 23 20:49:38 UTC 2011

FWIW, IMO, the Army probably *did* steal the concept and/or the name
from the zoomies.

You know, except for the posters in the D-1-3TRB dayroom when I was in
basic at Leonard Wood, I know STRAC only as slang. The W:pedia article
actually opened my eyes.

After The Wall went up, the Berlin Brigade was immediately reinforced
by two units (battalions? regiments?)  - the Rock of Chickamauga and
the Black Panthers; not only did they bring a living, breathing black
panther with them, but they also brought a big-assed boulder with a
plaque on it designating it as the Rock! - from the 4th Infantry
Division.

Considering that the 4ID was stationed at Fort Lewis, WA, moving units
from there, IMO, didn't make a whole lot of logistic sense. W:pedia
identifies the 4th ID as a STRAC unit. If the 4th was STRAC, well,
then, that's all right. ;-)

BTW, the last that I heard, the 8th Inf Div, stationed at Smith
Barracks in Baumholder, Germany, in my day, had been transferred from
Smith to Lewis and the 4th Inf Div from Lewis to Smith.

I've always chosen to look at such transfers as merely virtual: A is
redesignated B and B is redesignated A and that's all. A real
transfer, involving some 30,000 troops and their equipment, shipped
halfway around the world in one swell foop… To paraphrase a line from
the movie, Circle of Deception:

"Nobody would do that to his own taxpayers!"

But,

Youneverknow.

-Wilson

≈