to collapse under rubble?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 25 05:37:42 UTC 2011

To me, it seems "blockade" is just wrong--metaphor or not. But what's
the problem with "political rubble"? Buildings collapse during
earthquakes and, in a sense, are buried under a self-generated rubble.
Of course, it's more reasonable to say that the buildings collapse and
whatever was in them is or is under a pile of rubble. But, in this case,
the "rubble" is the condemnations thrown their way. I suspect, you're
looking for "buried under rubble". But they did not collapse under
"political weight"--and why can't randomly accumulated rubble become
weighty enough for a collapse? In any case, I don't see an
rabble-rousing rapscallions...

For my money, it's the "collapse" that's the wrong metaphor. Here, we
have "rubble" in the sense of "garbage", "junk",  and "collapse" in the
sense of "yield under pressure", "give way". But defenses collapse, not
the troops that mount them.

     VS-)