Heard on Springer: _[NEG] try_ "[NEG] intend"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 27 18:27:56 UTC 2011

White chick brushing off loser-boyfriend's proposal says, among other things:

"I've had to sleep in a car! I'm _not *trying*_ (= I don't intend) to
live on the street with you!"

Using _[NEG] try_ like this, with sentential stress, is traditional -
probably a better term than "standard,"; IAC, yawl gnome sane - in BE.
(Also in SE, in general?) But this the first time that I've heard it
used by a regular, sE-speaking, non-whigger, Northern white speaker.

But, in view of the fact that I've taken up agoraphobia as a hobby in
retirement, it could well be the case that I simply need to get out
more.

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson