tare - verb

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 28 09:16:24 UTC 2011

OK, I found one, after some trial and error. It's not supermarket, but
the gerund is essentially the same.

http://goo.gl/vga1L
Textbook of clinical chemistry. By Norbert W. Tietz. 1986
p. 31
> Before weighing a chemical, the weight of the container must be
> determined or allowed for by taring to reset the equilibrium point.

But, in this case, the likely meaning is to "tare" the balance/scale,
not the container, which, I believe, is the original meaning.

Interestingly, when the word was borrowed into Russian, as "tara", it
now means "refillable or returnable container" (and it's been this way
as long as I can recall, from 1970s--likely much longer).

Lots of hits for "tared" in various US standards documents and in
laboratory procedures manuals, referring usually to lab glassware,
filters and other such equipment. OED only has "tared" under tare v.
with two citations from 1854. Both tare v. and tare n.2 need an update.

     VS-)