"Watch" [Was: "Got"] your back"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Dec 29 18:10:37 UTC 2011

The OED has "to watch a person's back: to protect
or guard a person against potential attack
(sometimes literally from behind); (also) to
support or assist a person" only from 1974, where it refers to spies:
      1974 ‘J. le Carré’ Tinker, Tailor xvii.
145   Clear a foreign letter box, prime a safe
house, watch someone's back, spike an embassy.

The next citation is also from the spying genre:
      1986    M. Hartland Third Betrayal ii.
20,   I imagine you'll take someone to watch your back.

By 1991 it was generalized.

The OED has "to get (also have) a person's back":
= to watch a person's back" from 1975.

It dates "To watch one's [own] back" (to be on
one's guard; to be alert to a possible (physical)
threat to oneself (sometimes literally an attack from behind)" from 1949.

Joel