subversive, adj.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 6 15:03:51 UTC 2011

And another ex.  Here it's closer to "purposefully unconventional":

1995 Peter Kuch _Bruce Dawe_ (Melbourne: OUP) 2: By calling his first book
of poems _No Fixed Address_, Dawe chose to introduce himself as an
intinerant in the Republic of Letters. Characteristically, it is both a
disarming and a subversive self-image.

(The upper-case style led me to expect "Republic of the Congo.")

JL