rugged

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Feb 6 16:49:02 UTC 2011

Thinking that I must have seen "rugged weather" in diaries and
almanacs when researching the rugged New England weather of the 18th
century, I just now looked into GBooks.  If antedatings of "rugged
weather" have any interest, found in a few tens of minutes ---
----------
1655:

_The Reformed Common-Wealth of Bees.  Presented in severall Letters
... with the Reformed Virginian Silk-Worm. Containing  Many Excellent
and Choice Secrets, Experiments, and Discoveries for attaining of
National and Private Profits and Riches_, by Samuel Hartlib (London,
1655).  Page 60:

"2. In April your Bees begin to hatch, serve them in hard and rugged
weather, whereby they are hindered to be abroad."

[I'm sure this does not mean on your dinner-plate, but rather "serve"
as in "act as a servant to".  :-)]
----------

1743:

_The British Telescope: being an Ephemeris Of the Coelestial Motions.
With An Almanack for the Year of our Lord, 1743 ..._, by Edmund
W[eaver], Licensed Physician, and Student in the [Coelesti]al Science
(London).  Page [8] (253 in the PDF), for January 18-21:

"Rugged Weather, but open for the most part."
----------
1802:

In _Collection of English Almanacs for the years 1702-1835_.  Vox
Stellarum / or, a Loyal Almanack for the Year of Human Redemption,
1802 ..., by Francis Moore, Physician (London) [Price Seventeen
Pence, stitched.]  Page 2 (105 in the PDF), for January 19-23:

"Rugged weather, but open for the most part."

[Hadn't changed much in 60 years -- although this is 10 days earlier
in the season.]

By Joel Berson,
Advocat and student of the coelestial science.