franchise

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 7 00:45:13 UTC 2011

As always, Garson has come up with some trenchant information.

It seems to me that it's one thing to say figuratively that one "holds the
franchise" on some subject or sort of entertainment. In other words, it's
metaphorically "as if" the "holder" had some special or even exclusive legal
authorization to do so. Garson's 1976 & 1985 exemplify that idea. (As I read
it, the "movie franchise" desired in 1968 means "a legal franchise from a
movie studio (to market tie-in goods)."

The notable shift in meaning occurs, however, when "franchise" itself comes
to denote not a legal right or authorization but, as OED says, "A general
title, format, or unifying concept used for creating or marketing a series
of products."

And it still looks as though this shift did not occur often, if at all, very
much before Leonard Nimoy's remark in the mid-'80s. Read today, it seems to
refer primarily to the very concept of _Star Trek_ and everything associated
with it; but twenty-five years ago it may have denoted specifically the
authorizing rights to produce new _Star Trek_ films and rerun old
shows. Practically, this may be a  distinction without a difference, but it
suggests further that the newer sense ("a marketing concept") really is far
more recent than the 1930s.

In any case, use of the 1936 quot. to exemplify the present sense still
seems to me quite misleading.

FWIW, here is the ex. that sent me to the OED to try to pin down this novel
sense of "franchise":

2009 J. R. Carr in _Journal of American Folklore_ CXXII 197: The heavily
synergistic _Pirates of the Caribbean_ franchise has lent its imagery to to
everything from breakfast cereal to pinball machines, so it was not
surprising when a collection of sea songs was recently released under the
_Pirates_ brand name.

This ex. fits precisely the  OED def. in question. To someone used to
thinking in terms of the customary meanings of "franchise," however, its
precise significance was elusive.
JL