green weenie

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 7 01:19:13 UTC 2011

Thanks, Wilson. You saved me the trouble of saying, "See HDAS II."  Earliest
ex.: 1944. Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to make explicit the synonymy
with "the shaft."

I saw the Simpson clip too, and my feeling is that he was using the "green
weenie"
as a synonym for the "the finger," which, when not literal, is more of an
attitude than the "green weenie," which is usu. some kind of overt action.

A bit earlier in the discussion he'd said, essentially, that attempts to
save the nation by cutting back discretionary spending were like "a
sparrow-belch in a thunderstorm."

Am familiar with "sparrow-fart" [sic] only in the Brit-Aussie (or is "Ozzie"
the only PC spelling now?) phr., "at sparrow-fart," i.e., at dawn.

GB reveals a couple of current authors ameliorating that to "sparrow's
peep," but to h---
with 'em.

JL