Heard on Springer

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Wed Feb 9 14:38:27 UTC 2011

On 2/9/11 12:01 AM, Automatic digest processor wrote:
> Date:    Tue, 8 Feb 2011 23:01:38 -0500
> From:    Wilson Gray<hwgray at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Re: Heard on Springer
>
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM, Amy West<medievalist at w-sts.com>  wrote:
>> >
>> >  The bases - 1st, 2nd, 3rd.
> Surprising as it may be, there's a bit of cultural difference
> involved, here. Among the colored - among those of my era, at least -
> this particular metaphor is unknown. I've heard it spoken of in the
> movies and on radio and TV and I've read it in magazines and books,
> but I've never know its reference. Indeed, the "bases" metaphor is so
> orthogonal to black life that I've never even felt the least
> motivation to discover its meaning, beyond that it lists a series of
> steps involved in the attainment of the goal of tapping that ass.
>
> Now that I think of it, I've never heard the "bases" metaphor used by
> anyone of any race in real life. That is, there has never arisen an
> occasion for me to ask, e.g "When you say that you 'only got to second
> base,' what is it that you intend me to understand by that, beyond the
> fact that you didn't get over?"
>
> It goes without saying that I don't understand the basis of your reanalysis.

I was just making a comparison: I was just trying to equate the "getting
your foot wet" as part of a swimming metaphor for how far you got
sexually with a partner with the "bases" metaphor. That's all.

Perhaps I was once again pointing out the obvious.

And as for not understading the basis of my reanalysis: I get that a lot.

--
---Amy West