whole nine yards (UNCLASSIFIED)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Thu Feb 10 10:16:51 UTC 2011

Replies to Bill and Fred (plus, thank you, Bonnie!):

To Bill:
Yes, the original 9 emergency shipyards have been identified (list below). And yes other shipyards later also built "Liberty Ships" (assembly-line-made cargo vessels), in (I think) the largest shipbuilding project in history. You may determine whether the initial 9 yards can be remembered years later. By the way, I have not yet seen a copy (interlibrary loan said no one would send it) of Liberty ships: twenty years later / Alexander Shaw 1961 [1961, a potentially-interesting year...]
[iv], 143 p. ; 28 cm. [Belair, Md. : A. Shaw].

>From F. C. Lane, Ships for victory; a history of shipbuilding under the United States Maritime Commission in World War II  (Baltimore; Johns Hopkins: 1951) p.51, the nine yards:

South Portland, Me.-- the Todd-Bath Iron Shipbuilding Corp.
Baltimore, Md. --Bethlehem-Fairfield Yard
Wilmington, N.C.--North Carolina Shipbuilding Co.
Mobile, Ala.--Alabama Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co.
New Orleans, La.--Delta Shipbuilding Co.
Houston, Texas--Houston Shipbuilding Corp.
Los Angeles (Terminal Island), Cal-- California Shipbuilding Corp.
Richmond, Cal--Todd-California Shipbuilding Corp.
Portland, Oregon-- Oregon Shipbuilding Corp.

To Fred:
I do not entirely know how she asked her Father, i.e., beyond what she told me and what is posted at Straight Dope Message Board. I did not prompt her to prompt any particular response. Nor am I sure exactly which of my mails he received and read and which she read. She mentioned a (one) misplaced letter. I wrote him two paper letters to two different addresses on two different dates. The first letter did not mention ships; the second letter did. The Jan. 2011 email forwarded to her did not, though it did link to Ben Zimmer's treatment (as mentioned earlier) that gives a list of proposals, including "naval shipyards."