"Cock"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 10 22:15:07 UTC 2011

Re: female cocks.

1835-36 _Fanny Hill's Bang-Up Reciter_ (Facsimile rpt. London: P. R. Wells,
1965) 16:
In wedlock's bands they soon were joined,/ In hymen's holy fetters,/ He
found her cock, and his one too/ And he put them both together.

A PDF is visible here:
http://www.horntip.com/html/books_&_MSS/1830s/1836--1965_fanny_hills_bang-up_reciter_friskey_songster_(PB)/index.htm

The whole silly song ("a rummy chaunt") turns on an old maid's loss of her
favorite rooster.
The hero appears and makes things better than before. So conceivably, and
despite the verbal inspiration behind the song, this use of the metaphor has
nothing to do with American Southern usage.

Conceivably.

JL