"Cock"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 11 01:36:05 UTC 2011

In that context, I certainly get the impression that _cock_ WRT the
woman refers literally to a male hen and not to the pudenda feminina.

BTW, what up with that "bang-up" from 1835-36? A pun, in that context?
Or mere coincidence? I'm not aware of any hidden erotic feeling WRT
"bang-up." But I didn't see any erotic in "fetching," either, until
after I'd read "Walter's" My Secret Life, wherein _fetch_ is used to
mean, as it literally does, IMO, "cause to come," hence making the use
of _fetch_ a very slick, deep pun, when the "other" meaning of _come_
is considered.

FWIW, um-surfing reveals both a respelling of _come_ as _cum_, and a
reanalysis of it as a separate word altogether from _come_, with
_cummed, cummed_ as PST,  PST PART.

Aaarrrggghhh!

But then, the ordinary pornographer probably has no familiarity with
the very likely now-obsolete phrase, "come to climax" and its
mirror-image, "bring to climax." Or should that be, "take to
climax"?;-)
(One my wife's pet peeves is the loss of the distinction between
_bring_ and _take_.) I once read somewhere or other that, in Jamaican,
people say, "Bring him go" and "Take him come," in some now-forgotten
context or other.

--
-Wilson
–––