"Cock"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 11 15:16:20 UTC 2011

Of course you're both right. But the point that interests me isn't the
expression's apparent formal origin; it's the psychological impetus behind
it.

Had I not been frowned on, possibly by a lunatic, for the use of "up and
coming,"  the idea might not have occurred to me at all. But maybe she
wasn't a lunatic, or at least not a lone lunatic. If "moist" is horrific to
some speakers, perhaps "up and coming" is as well.

It's a universally known formula and there's no obvious reason for so many
people to change it.

JL