Green's Dict. of Slang in TLS, Feb. 4

Fri Feb 11 17:47:02 UTC 2011

On pp. 12-13 of the February 4 TLS, James Sharpe reviews Green's Dictionary of Slang and John Simpson's edition of The First English Slang Dictionary, 1699, by B. E. Gent (publ. by the Bodleian Library).
He's pleased with both.

I myself have browsed through the "A" section of Green's dictionary, (in which I have been particularly struck by his deft use of apt alliteration's artful aid), and just begun the "B".

I still want volumes 3 & 4 of HDAS, and will continue to remember Oxford University Press in my bedtime curses until I get it.

GAT

George A. Thompson