come-at-ables

Fri Feb 11 23:32:00 UTC 2011

        Mr. Editor,  Can you inform some of your Brooklyn friends, but not married, why so many of our married men when they go [to] the theatre are seen sitting in the third tier along side of the com-at-ables.  BOWERY.
        Yes, strangers visiting theatres are generally fond of good society, and the ladies in the third tier are very sociable and entertain their guests with much warmth and feeling.
        Ely’s Hawk & Buzzard, September 21, 1833 (ns II:7) p. 2, col. 2

As you all know, the 3rd tier of American theaters was set aside for whores and men who are seeking love and companionship.  Or something.

The spelling/typesetting at the Hawk & Buzzard didn't show much skill.  I've regularized the heading, but followed Bowery's spelling in the letter.

GAT

George A. Thompson