of coins -- "plugged", adj., 1773; "plug", verb, 1785 & 1789; "sweated" 1797

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 14 20:51:00 UTC 2011

If nothing else, I enthusiastically endorse Joel's findings. The plugged
2. definition seems to be much too narrow, even if it need not be split
up (just needs a better description). Just recall that one alternative
to the kind of "plugging" OED admits to was clipping or shaving. That
would be a major cause for "light gold". Plugging and re-authorizing the
coins (with a seal, stamp or engraving), as described in Joel's finds,
would restore the full value. I'm always glad to see pushing the dates
back by a century, especially with new variants found along the way. I
am also wondering how many of the catalogued "plugged" coins are of this
kind and not of the other, inferior value. It might be worth contacting
a numismatic society for clarification.

     VS-)