"I've a 24" 2.4Ghz iMac _that's_ hard drive recently packed in."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 15 21:30:07 UTC 2011

At 4:20 PM -0500 2/15/11, Wilson Gray wrote:
>"such that its" > "that's"?
>
>--
>-Wilson
>-----
We've discussed "that" + possessive at some point (essentially a
downscale version of "whose"), and I suspect it's been covered in
detail on Language Log.  Ben?  Arnold?

If the above cite is given in full, there's another issue going on,
but if it's basically "I've got a Mac that's hard drive crashed",
it's an instance of "that" (reanalyzed from complementizer to
relative pronoun) in the genitive, as noted.

LH