"I've a 24" 2.4Ghz iMac _that's_ hard drive recently packed in."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 15 22:45:42 UTC 2011

I mentioned this some years ago. I had a freshman in the early '80s who
insisted that "that's" was correct because "whose" referred to people.

When I surveyed English Department graduate students with a
fill-in-the-blank quiz, a fair number filled in the blanks with "that's"
instead of "whose."

God knows what they wrote in their own papers. They were mainly working on
masters' rather than doctoraldegrees, if that makes anyone feel better.  And
did I mention that the degrees would be in English?  Yeah, I guess I did.

JL