Barry, the Yale News, and Hamburgers

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 18 16:54:08 UTC 2011

At 6:08 AM -0500 2/18/11, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>This is an old post for which I wanted to update the link:
>
>http://goo.gl/7wCKv
>
>If it does not unpack correctly, the full version is
>
>http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2009/jan/23/letter-new-haven-isnt-the-home-of-the-hamburger/
>
>Most email application wrap lines, which is why short URLs have been
>invented.
>
>     VS-)

I used this link in a class handout on the second anniversary of the
piece (and a YDN account of the death of a member of the Lassen
clan), and it was only on reading it closely that I noticed that the
text (see in particular the Billy Adams' "Yale Kennel Club"
paragraph) belied the title ("... but Yale is the inventor of 'hot
dog'"), or vice versa.

The truth is always sacred, but it did make for a less compelling
story for my students.

LH