knock down argument (1681)

Sun Feb 20 01:32:34 UTC 2011

Wlison wrote
> I ran across this while idly researching "a knock-down argument," a
> phrase that I'd never heard heard before 1972 at MIT, where it is/was?
> endemic in the linguistics dept. Then, I discovered that Lewis Carroll
> had used this turn of phrase. Quelle surprise! (Yes, it appears in
> _Alice_, but, astoundingly, I'd forgotten about that.) IAC, I can now
> date the phrase to 1806.
>
> I'm just messing around for personal enjoyment. Nevertheless, if
> anyone should have the earliest cite at the tip of his fingers and be
> willing to spare me the effort of finding it for myself ... :-)

Here are two sentences using "knock down argument" in a volume that
dates to 1681. Earlier cites exist I imagine.

Title: Dialogue upon Dialogue: or, L'Estrange No Papist nor Jesuite;
but the Dog Towzer: Shewed in a Short Plain Dialogue Betwixt
Philo-Anglicus and Philo-L'Estrange
Authors:        Philo-Anglicus (fict.name.), Philo-L'Estrange (fict.name.)
Page: 3
Published: London Printed for HB 1681
Google Books Archive - Original from Oxford University

Such convincing and knock-down Arguments? But they wont down with me.

But I have another Knock down Argument for you, and that must make you
of my Mind.

http://books.google.com/books?id=aSVcAAAAQAAJ&q=knock#v=snippet&