"Thanks! I Needed That!"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 20 02:52:21 UTC 2011

One more data point on this dead (or at least moribund) thread.  Just
viewed "The Quiet Man", a 1952 John Ford movie starring John Wayne
set in rural Ireland.  There's an extended fistfight at the end
(played mostly for laughs) between Wayne's character (a "Yank" from
Pittsburgh who had re-emigrated to the village in Ireland where he
was born after he had accidentally killed another man in a
prizefight) and the brother of the local lass (Maureen O'Hara) he has
wooed and wed.  At two points during the fight someone throws water
in Wayne's face to revive him--a kind of face slap--and each time he
says "Thanks" and pauses.  I kept waiting for him to continue "I
needed that", but each time he doesn't say it out loud.

LH