"I've a 24" 2.4Ghz iMac _that's_ hard drive recently packed in."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 20 02:59:20 UTC 2011

At 6:30 PM -0500 2/19/11, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>Enlighten me. What was the good reason here?
>
>DanG

One reason is to avoid "whose" and pied piping, which is in a
register they don't use (at least in colloquial speech).  An
alternative is to use a relative clause with a resumptive pronoun.
This allows three choices:

That's the book whose cover is torn ("correct" formal style)
That's the book that's cover is torn (reanalyzed complementizer
serving as rel. pronoun with possessive marker)
That's the book that its cover is torn (resumptive pronoun version)

LH