_Fag_ = "a horse for easy riding" or some such?

Sarah puellaest at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 20 20:47:28 UTC 2011

On 2011-02-19, at 9:44 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: _Fag_ = "a horse for easy riding" or some such?
>
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
>
>> Fag, n.1, sense 2.a.: Â "In English public
>> schools, a junior who performs certain duties for a senior."
>>

> Dern (Both Bruce and Laura)! I know that! Oh, well.

Trying to pin it down to one sense seems to be in opposition with there rather clever, if excessive punning found throughout the epigram.

That said, the desired "nag" is that which "[will] serve as a fag." Syntactically, the following "one" refers back to "nag" and not "fag" (likewise "ride very quiet applies to "fag" not "nag"). As such, there is no evidence in the poem to clarify the meaning of "fag." A "fag" is simply how Sir Toby wishes the nag to serve [him].

My question is regarding "_two bottles of port_." I have a hard time reading this simply and only as "two containers that hold an alcoholic beverage," but I have no evidence for another sense. Is/Are there another/others (I'm thinking along the lines of that which would make the nag unable or unwilling to "carry a child" [again any and all senses]), or (esp. as "sort" more properly refers back to "child" and not "nag") is the emphasis there to end the punning and the poem?

Another question, did anyone else think it odd just how many cricket terms are in there? (Or is that further evidence of a school-type setting?)

Best,
S.