plugging teeth, 1796

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Feb 21 18:53:51 UTC 2011

I don't know quite where to put this (although under the verb, I
assume), nor therefore whether it is an antedating.  But it is at
least early compared to the instances I can locate in the OED.
Although a bit late for George.  (The earliest I find with "plug*"
near "t??th" is 1847, and the noun.)

Mr. TESSIE, Surgeon and Dentist, Gives notice to his friends and the
public in general, that he continues plugging and cleaning teeth, and
setting false ones.  Should also, any person want to buy excellent
OPIATE, to whiten teeth and keep them from decay, please to call at
his lodgings, No. 42, Queen-street.

[I also note a street address, dating (I don't remember) and locating
(it seemed earliest in NYC) of which I think we've discussed
before.  I have no comment on the use of opiate.]

City Gazette, published as City Gazette And Daily Advertiser
{Charleston, S.C.]; Date: 03-31-1796; Volume: XIV; Issue: 2708; Page:
Supplement [2]; col. 2.

Joel