"Clunker" not in OED?

Tue Feb 22 00:18:46 UTC 2011

Many thanks to Sam Clements for information about the make and model
of the "klunker" in the 1930 Seattle Times photograph.

Apologies, Joel. Occasionally, the Google Books database has two
copies of a book, but the search engine preferentially displays just
one copy. It can be difficult to coax the database to show both
copies. I hypothesized that your searches were leading you to a copy
of the book that displayed a bad snippet, i.e., a snippet without the
image of the clunker/flunker term.

Sharing a good snippet that properly displayed the image of the
clunker/flunker term seemed to be a reasonable way to help. The Google
Books database is an enormously powerful tool but its behavior can be
erratic. All the full text databases I use regularly display anomalous
behaviors. I recommend taking screen shots and downloading PDFs
provides for backup when material becomes inexplicably inaccessible.