does and is (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Feb 24 03:01:51 UTC 2011

George wrote:
> I think one of the barfiles in "Ulysses" uses a sort of spoonerized
> verison of "does a duck swim?" --  "does a swim duck?"  It
> doesn't turn up in Google Books, but the expression gets some
> matches in plain old-fashioned Google.

I think the phrase was "Could a swim duck? says I."

I cannot find a completely readable out-of-copyright 1922 edition of
Ulysses in Google Books. So the versions below consist of an online
text and two reproductions. Errors are highly probable. (Of course the
original edition had errors too).

Here is text from online-literature.com:

Episode 12 - Cyclops (excerpt)

Gob, he's not as green as he's cabbagelooking. Arsing around from one
pub to another, leaving it to your own honour, with old Giltrap's dog
and getting fed up by the ratepayers and corporators. Entertainment
for man and beast. And says Joe:

-- Could you make a hole in another pint?

-- Could a swim duck? says I.

-- Same again, Terry, says Joe. Are you sure you won't have anything
in the way of liquid refreshment? says he.

-- Thank you, no, says Bloom. As a matter of fact I just wanted to
meet Martin Cunningham, don't you see, about this insurance of poor
Dignam's. Martin asked me to go to the house. You see, he, Dignam, I
mean, didn't serve any notice of the assignment on the company at the
time and nominally under the act the mortgagee can't recover on the
policy.

http://www.online-literature.com/view.php/ulysses/12?term=duck

Here are two links to reproductions in Google Books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=FPxt5rmu1h8C&q=%22swim+duck%22#v=snippet&

http://books.google.com/books?id=fxWfE1JLUIMC&q=%22swim+duck%22#v=snippet&