"we are two peoples separated by a common language" antedated & attributed

Fri Feb 25 11:32:20 UTC 2011

Thanks to Stephen Goranson for locating the 1942 BBC cite.

In the 1920s a curiously different type of joke about the common
language of Great Britain and America was associated with George
Bernard Shaw. Here is a version in the New York Times.

Cite: 1923 March 2, New York Times, "Editorial Article 1 -- No Title",
Page 14, New York. (ProQuest)

At the Pilgrims' Dinner in London, the Chancellor of the Exchequer,
Mr. BALDWIN, remarked that "the fact that we speak a common language"
is really sometimes a hindrance to good relations between Great
Britain and America. He may have been vaguely recalling what BERNARD
SHAW once said, that the use of a common language merely enabled
England and America to understand the "insults" offered by the
representatives of one to those of the other. In that sense, the
Englishmen present must have been able to understand Ambassador
HARVEY'S speech.

Here is a version of the joke told by Shaw himself in 1924:

Cite: May 1924, Harper's Magazine, A Dialogue on Things In General
Between George Bernard Shaw and Archibald Henderson, [Article start
Page 705], Page 708, Column 2, Harper & Brothers, New York. (Harper's
Magazine online archive)

HENDERSON. You have been execrated for publicly asserting, prior to
the Washington Conference, that England wanted to fight America.
Perhaps you were misquoted. Like Nietzsche, you are a "good European."
May I ask whether you would like to see an alliance or union of the
English-speaking peoples?

SHAW. People should execrate me for things I have said, not for the
things that fools say I have said. I think there should be an alliance
of all the peoples who are psychologically homogeneous enough to share
one another's ideas. A common language certainly makes an alliance
easier; though you must not forget that it also makes quarreling
easier. The Americans and Chinese may utter endless insults to each
other and be none the worse, because neither understands the other;
but an American insult to the English or an English insult to the
Americans might lead to a war.

Garson