Queries for the List

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Feb 26 11:25:47 UTC 2011

Geneva Smitherman, John Baugh, and John McWhorter have all written on the
subject of

self-reference among Blacks/African Americans.

--Margaret Lee

________________________________
From: Joel S. Berson <Berson at ATT.NET>
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Sent: Thu, February 24, 2011 9:02:16 PM
Subject: Re: Queries for the List

I suggest:

      Rael, Patrick. "Introduction." In African-American Activism
before the Civil War: The Freedom Struggle in the Antebellum North,
ed. Patrick Rael (New York: Routeledge, 2008), esp. p. 18.
      Rael, Patrick. Black Identity & Black Protest in the Antebellum
North. Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 2002, esp. p. 85.

Rael discusses the "complicated and instructive" history of use of
the various terms, by those who identified themselves by those terms,
as well as (very likely!) by others.

Searching Early American Newspapers (which progresses into the 1840s,
I think) and Early American Imprints might be informative.  And
Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers (which I'm not familiar with).

Joel