"Jew"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 28 02:27:02 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at uga.edu> wrote:
> "Jew" is a term folr 'lawyer'.

Some time ago, perhaps as far back as five years, on Law & Order SVU,
there's a scene in which the following is heard:

Fin: He's my Jew

(John looks away in annoyance)

Later, as they're leaving and John gets off his cell:

John: Your Jew?! How would you like it if I called you "my boy"?!

Fin: (laughing) I'd be happy to be your boy, John!

Fin, under cover as a gangster of some sort, is explaining to the
gangster being set up why it is that there's a white man with him.

As Archie Bunker advised that you should do, when you find yourself in trouble,

"Get yourself a Jew Lawyer."

Archie meant it as a compliment: among other negative stereotypes,
Jews are said to be the best lawyers. Uh, I mean, "negative" in the
Shakespearean sense of

"First, kill all the lawyers."
--
-Wilson