advocaat

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 1 18:57:18 UTC 2011

advocaat  1935 --> 1897

Advocaat is a Dutch egg liquer--similar, in most ways, to severely
spiked eggnog, so referring to it as a "liquer" is a bit of a misnomer.
OED has it to 1935, but it sounds more than a bit late. I have not
checked the Dutch sources, but it's a far older invention.

GB search is complicated by the fact that it is virtually impossible to
shed 2000 Dutch books that pop up even with a date restriction
(pre-1936) or the meaning of "Dutch attorney". So I am grabbing even
questionable entries for later verification (not necessarily by me).

http://goo.gl/3Uamb
The Hare. Ernest Oldmeadow. 1920 [The date is undoubtedly correct, but
the text itself needs verification. The clipping is from
preview--snippet not available.]
> I know the best shop in all Holland for Advocaat ; and that means the
> best shop in the world. ... Harry enjoyed his glass of Advocaat, which
> was like a thin yellow cream redeemed from sickliness by a little
> Cognac...

It seems to be a good reference, but not the best.

http://goo.gl/z16hs
The Dome: A Quarterly Containing Examples of All the Arts. London: 1897
Utrecht Cathedral. p. 17
> A hundred steps up the keeper has strolled from some lurking place,
> offering to vend me any liquor nameable, from the effeminate
> "Advocaat"--which is for all the world like a custard mildly drunk on
> sherry--to the firewater which makes Schiedam and its chimneys dearer
> to the Hollander than Utrecht and all its churches.

Although the date on the title page is somewhat ambiguous, as there are
two Roman numbers mingled with the publishers' names, scrolling down a
bit reveals the obverse "Reprinted in May 1897". This, however, is not
quite the correct date either, as this is from a page in the issue
immediately preceding the quoted one. But it's the same volume.

For good measure, there are also a couple between the two.

http://goo.gl/j9hfD
Things seen in Holland. By Charles Émile Roche. 1910
> In fact, the afternoon tea has swept all before it, and Dutch ladies
> now very seldom partake of advocaat, a kind of egg-nog once greatly in
> vogue at feminine gatherings.

http://goo.gl/wbLf3
A dictionary of applied chemistry, Volume 3. By Sir Thomas Edward
Thorpe. 1912
Liqueurs and Cordials. p. 334
> Advocaat, a spirit made in Holland from spirit and yolk of eggs and
> sweotcned with sugar. The average strength is about proof. [sic]

This is not an accidental occurrence of some obscure item either--on
page 332, Advocaat is list among "the best known" liqueurs and cordials
and the rest of the list is easily recognizable even today (with a
possible exception of Noyau--which /is/ in OED from 1787 to 1987--a
drink I know by another name).

     VS-)

PS: I also found a couple of reference to a cultivated tropical name by
the common name of "Advocaat", although there was no description (just a
single Latin name that may or may not be useful: