"beyond the pale"

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 2 09:02:21 UTC 2011

I must say that the idea that "beyond the pale" may somehow be related
to the Pale of Settlement had occurred to me at one point (early in
college)--or, at least, some occasional uses of it, not all. But it also
occurred to me that the two are not directly related--the original
Russian term means little more than "a line" (or scratchmark) with no
additional meaning of something that cannot be crossed--that meaning is
derived from the regulation, not the phrase. So it would be puzzling if
the expression was derived from an English translation of something that
was pretty much irrelevant to anyone who spoke English. I'd go so far as
to say that OED's translation of "čerta [osedlosti]" as "boundary" is a
stretch, at best. The word is related to the words for "draught" and
"draughting" (as in "technical drawing") and is not related to the words
for "boundary" that I can recall. Obviously, some might disagree. But
the note in OED definition of "beyond the pale" specifically rejects the
notion that the two are related. I guess, this qualifies as
cherry-picking--I like one OED note, but not the other.

VS-)