Antedating of "Poker" (Card Game)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 2 15:25:29 UTC 2011

At 8:46 AM -0500 1/2/11, Barbara Need wrote:
>I think "lieu" might otherwise be spelled loo, or it is in all the
>Georgian and Regency romances I have read! It is a card game and
>players could make bets on the outcome (women who were poor bettors
>might be restricted to "silver loo" by their husbands.
>
>Barbara

I'm (virtually) sure you're right.  There's an extensive entry in the
OED for loo (from "lanterloo", borrowed from the French = 'orig. the
unmeaning refrain of a song popular in the 17th c.'), with cites back
to 1675 and alternate spellings like "lu".  Maybe "lieu" (which
doesn't appear with this meaning in the OED) was a nonce or
more-than-nonce eggcorn for "loo".   (This is the OED's "loo 1", not
to be confused with "loo 4", the WC, or two other homographs
referring to a velvet mask or a dust-laden wind.)

LH