Doing-doing

Tue Jan 4 11:10:52 UTC 2011

I've recently come across the odd duplicated phrase DOING DOING in
American publications and would be grateful for any information about its
ancecedents.

"'What you are doing doing is penalizing the people that use the I-90
corridor,' said Bellevue resident Bill Pott." -- Seattle Post
Intelligencer, 8 Dec. 2010; "Edward Boffman picks up toys to go with some
clothing while doing doing Christmas shopping for his two sons" -- The
Virginian-Pilot 27 Dec. 2010.

One or two might be mistakes but there are far too many for that. I've
also encountered it as a noun ("He's going to take on the doing-doings in
the US who believe their president is Kenyan-born, and therefore illegally
elected."  -- Guardian, 1 Jan. 2011).

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words