she as a gender-neutral pronoun

Tue Jan 4 15:52:48 UTC 2011

In computer science there is a convention dating back to the 1970s
that reflects an interest in gender-balance. The custom occurs in the
field of computational cryptography.

When defining a two-person protocol a researcher might use routine
labels such as "A" and "B" for the participants. But for decades in
the field of cryptography it has been common to use the names "Alice"
and "Bob". This naturally leads to the extensive use of the pronouns
"he" and "she" in the protocol description.

Other female names such as "Eve" for eavesdropper are used when
defining and analyzing protocols. Wikipedia has a list of character
names based on Bruce Schneier's book Applied Cryptography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_and_Bob
http://xkcd.com/177/

One of the foundational papers in computational cryptography was
written in 1977 by Ron Rivest, Adi Shamir and Leonard Adleman. The
paper introduced the RSA cryptosystem, and it used the names Alice and
Bob. An article on the Network World website claims that the Alice-Bob
convention began with the RSA paper. Here is an excerpt containing
comments from Ron Rivest:

Security's inseparable couple
Network World
February 07, 2005 12:04 AM ET

RSA co-founder Rivest, who is a Massachusetts Institute of Technology
(MIT) professor, says he came up with Alice and Bob to be able to use
"A" and "B" for notation, and that by having one male and one female,
the pronouns "he" and "she" could be used in descriptions. Rivest says
it is possible that Alice came to mind because he is something of an
Alice in Wonderland buff.

Never did he expect the names to take on lives of their own.

"Nor did I imagine that our proposed cryptosystem would be so widely
used," he says.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/020705widernetaliceandbob.html

Garson