she as a gender-neutral pronoun

Federico Escobar federicoescobarcordoba at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 6 23:48:19 UTC 2011

I might be overdoing it by posting again on this thread, but there was this
bit of grist for the mill that I couldn't resist:

"The virtue of compassion requires us to put ourselves consistently in
somebody else's shoes, to feel his pain as though it were our own, and to
enter generously into her point of view."

This is from chapter 1 of *A Compassionate Life *by Karen Armstrong. I'm
reading the Vook version, but perhaps the sentence is also found in the book
version (same title).

I don't recalling seeing this close variation of personal pronouns,
masculine and feminine, both referring to the same "somebody" in the same
sentence. It's a logical derivation of the gender-neutral phenomenon, but it
still seemed shareworthy.

F.