Silver bullet (figurative 1945)

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Jan 10 15:56:13 UTC 2011

It is somewhat commonly reported--as in a novel I've been reading (Elizabeth Kostova'a _The Historian_)--that Stoker's _Dracula_ mentions the silver bullet among several vampire repellants.  As far as my memory serves, however, (often not very far) that information is incorrect.

Wasn't it a Silver bullet that the Lone Ranger used when it was mercifully time for his faithful old mount go graze the Happy Hunting Grounds?

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Jonathan Lighter [wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2011 9:49 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Werewolves are supposedly quelled by silver bullets, but I suspect this
is a post-Ranger (i.e., post-1933) belief.

In moderate confirmation, Wiki-wacki says the silver bullet's anti-werewolf
properties were not known till 1936:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan.

JL

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 10:21 PM, George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu>w=
rote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Silver bullet (figurative 1945)

------

> > The OED presents a figurative sense with a first cite in 1951.
> >
> > silver bullet, n.
> > 1. b. fig. A simple, miraculous solution to a complex and difficult
> > problem. Also (Med.): =3D magic bullet n.
>
> As I recall, the Lone Ranger fired silver bullets.  Did this give rise to
> the expression or was it suggested by it?    My memories of the Lone Rang=
er
> radio show are probably from the late 1940s.
>
> GAT
>
> George A. Thompson
> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern
> Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

--=20