Silver bullet (figurative 1945)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 10 20:51:35 UTC 2011

Robert Southey alludes to the vulnerability of an English witch
to a silver bullet in his  English Eclogues, "Eclogue VI: The Witch," in his
_Poems_, II (Bristol, 1799), p. 221. Scott would almost surely have been
familiar with it.

This is the sole conjunction of a witch and silver bullets that I can find
in ECCO.  ECCO reveals no 18th C. mention of silver bullets and vampires.

Nor is there any EEBO evidence of "silver bullets" for any purpose
whatsoever datable earlier than the "Popish plot" evidence of 1678.

Master's thesis anyone?

JL