sammich

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 11 13:45:22 UTC 2011

When I arrived in Knoxville in the 1974 I noticed that grownups frequently
said "sammiches" in a lighthearted way. They still do. They also say
"taters," "maters," and "nanners."

My perception is that "taters" (by far the most frequently attested in
print) is the least jocular of the three, "nanners" the most.

For all anybody knows, they'll be standard Inglish in two hundred years.

JL