"pet parent"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 13 14:22:24 UTC 2011

Back in my day, when people had *real* pets like the elephant bird and the
dire wolf, said pets had "masters" (and even "mistresses" if an elderly lady
was talking).  If you owned a pet, you were a "pet owner."

I've just heard "pet parents" on a cat food commercial, spoken as though it
were the most natural thing on earth. And it is, if you can believe nearly
one million raw Googlits.

Of course, I've heard of pets' "parents" and "mommies" and "daddies" for
decades, but this was the first ex. that did not seem in the least but
jocular.

JL