Microsoft's "app store" trademark complaint (+ WOTY)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 14 01:03:23 UTC 2011

At 4:25 PM -0500 1/13/11, Ben Zimmer wrote:
>Microsoft has filed a trademark complaint against Apple over the use of "app
>store," and the complaint cites ADS WOTY.
>
>http://www.techflashpodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ttabvue-91195582-OPP-5.pdf
>
>On p. 9, it says, "'App' is so well known that it has just been named the
>"Word of the Year" for 2010 by the American Dialect Society, a leading group
>of US linguists."
>
>And on p. 14, our press release is quoted.

As long as *we're* not being sued.  I wonder if the Cookie
Monster--with or without an amicus brief from the trade association
of lolcats--would have cited our work if the runoff had come out
differently.

LH