"warthog" with glottal stop

Sat Jan 15 23:12:34 UTC 2011

Not to worry, Tom.  Where i come from, I'm more likely to be "Poo-al" or "Po-al" and I've answered to that all my life from my relatives.  When I lived overseas, I was in an area where "pal" was really close (and merged where I did my research) and since calling someone you don't know "pal" was really common, I thought a lot of people were talking to me who weren't.

By the way, this -og phenomenon doesn't go along with your merger geographically.  Sure, if there is merger, all -og words participate so that you can't tell what the original pattern was.  But here in the lower Great Lakes, COT and CAUGHT don't merge, but all -og words have the CAUGHT vowel.  I've looked for the spread of incipient merger in my Michigan-born students, but generally, those who have it partially have some influence, parental or otherwise, from merger areas.  My wife (< NE OH) has one parent from N WV, a merger area, and has evolved a pattern where merger happens before -l so that doll, dollar has the same vowel as Paul, caller, .  No one in her family but her brother has that pattern, and he now lives on the border of the North and North Midland, so he has CAUGHT in "on" and words like that too.  But even he and his children distinguish COT and CAUGHT except for these transfers.

<OrV> is interesting too, with lots of lexical variation.  Here, CAUGHT predominates, but the vowel is definitely low.  I have [A] in sorry, sorrow, tomorrow but for me, both the county where I was born (Orange) , and that where i was brought up (Morris) have [O], a mid vowel, and I think this is the usual NW NJ pattern.  My parents, from "the city" (and there's only one back in N NJ), had [A] in all these.

I identify the vowel I have in <OrC> (both Wells's NORTH and FORCE) with CAUGHT (+ /r/).  My students have the same phonetic value as I do, but identify it with their vowel in COAT, which it is definitely not.  It is like pulling hen's teeth to get them to see that [Or] (and [Oi]) is not [or oi] in their speech, because their CAUGHT is so far away from [O].

Paul Johnston