do, v.i.

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 17 18:49:17 UTC 2011

"Shall we purchase another tea cosy?" "Oh, let's do!"

That sounds normal (though I use the word loosely), but it seems to
truncate, "Let's do just that!" rather than express he idea of taking
effective action generally.

It would seem so far that Clinton's usage is indeed either surprisingly
archaic or else new and hip.

The only other somewhat comparable ex. I can think of is from Longfellow's
"Psalm of Life" (and it's from long ago and it's poetic):

"Let us, then, be up and doing,
With a heart for any fate...."

Even this seems to be a slightly difference nuance: "doing
constructive things" rather than "getting things done effectively."

JL