Mired in the past, I was tense.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 17 21:23:20 UTC 2011

I had to work to figure this out.

"Do you want to save the report for this disk? DiskWarrior found
problems and the report _was not saved_. Don't Save / SAVE"

Say what? If the report was not saved in the past, then how can it be
saved in the present? That makes no sense at all, given that the
report has already vanished into the cyberether.

After some pondering of the situation, I've come to the conclusion
that, back in the days before educators foolishly accepted the sense
of the usual student's question - I asked it myself - "Why do we need
to study English when English is our native language?", the statement
would probably have taken the form,

"... found problems, but the report _has not yet been saved_."

Given that form of the statement, it's immediately clear why the
reader is offered  a chance to SAVE. It's *not* the case that the
report was discarded before the user was offered the chance to save
it.

--
-Wilson
–––

Once that we recognize that we do not err out of laziness, stupidity,
or evil intent, we can uncumber ourselves of the impossible burden of
trying to be permanently right. We can take seriously the proposition
that we could be in error, without necessarily deeming ourselves
idiotic or unworthy.
–Kathryn Schulz