from "blood libel" to "pogrom"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 17 21:53:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:

> "lynch mob"

There are some instances in which you members of The Other Group ought
not to accept BE as the hip way to speak. Clarence Thomas set all this
in motion with his complaint of a "high-tech lynching" just because he
was being "disrespected," thereby giving bad odor to the otherwise
legitimate playing of the race card in other circumstances (such as
those in which *I* choose to play it). And, of course, that was just
the beginning of his continuing crusade, as the "yard-jockey of the
Republican right," against minority "privilege."

(FWIW, IME, there has never been a time when _disrespect_ was not a
verb in BE. "He showed me disrespect," etc. has *always* been
expressed as "He disrespected me," etc. The use of _disrespect_ as a
verb is fairly recent in sE, seem like to me.)

--
-Wilson
–––

Once that we recognize that we do not err out of laziness, stupidity,
or evil intent, we can uncumber ourselves of the impossible burden of
trying to be permanently right. We can take seriously the proposition
that we could be in error, without necessarily deeming ourselves
idiotic or unworthy.
–Kathryn Schulz