on the ground = 'in the world'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 19 12:46:25 UTC 2011

Right. "On the ground" = "in society, as distinct from in theory."

I can't even remember the last time I heard a media journalist say "on the
spot" or "on the scene."  It's been "on the ground" (no matter where, except
maybe at sea) for many, many years.

JL