diverse = 'ethnically different'

Leslie Decker jsemlekkermeisje at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 19 15:01:23 UTC 2011

In primary and secondary education circles, diverse often has the meaning
'non-white' or 'of non-Northern/Western European descent.' You'll often hear
things like, "This school is very diverse,"  when it's 95% Hispanic (and 99%
of those Hispanics are Mexican).

I once had a lecturer in Education classes at grad school who not only made
statements as in the above, but used to say things like 'people who are
diverse' or 'people of diverse ethnicity.'